In 1995 the Antrim Township Supervisors commissioned a Comprehensive Recreation Plan for the township. One of the plan recommendations was to create a community park to accommodate the recreation needs of this growing Township. In 1999 the Board of Supervisors purchased a 136 acre farm uniquely situated along the Conococheague Creek and adjacent to Martins Mill Bridge on which to build the Antrim Township Community Park.
Phases 1 and 2 of the Park were developed and built between the years 2000 through 2004. Facilities included in these phases are 3 soccer fields, a large all purpose field, a large pavilion, a gazebo, playground, restrooms and over 4 miles of walking and hiking trails. Memorial Trail, located closest to the pavilion and restrooms is paved and handicapped accessible.
Beginning in 2006, the Board again took initiative to continue improvements to the park. The majority of construction in phases 3, 4, and 5 began in 2008 and was completed in 2010. Facilities added in these phases include five softball/little league fields, two additional soccer/multi purpose fields, another pavilion, two tennis courts, one full basket ball court, one half basket ball court and a continuation of the access road to create a loop back onto Grant Shook Road. Construction of a restroom and concession building was completed in 2011 and the addition of a concrete courtyard area completed the softball complex in the spring of 2012.
For directions to the Antrim Township Community Park connect here: Google Maps
In 2007 the Whispering Falls Disc Golf Course was added to the Park. The concept of adding a Disc Golf Course to the Park was first proposed to the Antrim Township Park Committee in May of 2006 by members of the 717 Flying Disc Club. Disc Golf is an active recreational activity accessible to people of varied ages and abilities. Similar to traditional golf, the course is laid out with 18 holes, each hole consisting of a launch area, a fairway and a basket. Players throw Frisbees or discs instead of hitting golf balls. Including a course as part of the park was approved by the Antrim Township Board of Supervisors in July of 2006. Volunteers from the 717 Flying Disc Club and others worked to make the course a reality and the Grand Opening was held on August 11, 2007.
In 2012 the 717 Disc Golf constructed an expansion of the course. The Board approved the addition of 9 more holes in some unused areas of the park. The reason for creating additional holes was to have a portion of the course geared for beginners and recreational players. The original 18 holes utilizes very challenging terrain on the west side of the park. The new holes were completed in 2013.
In 2013 a Dog Park was added. Dogs on leashes are welcome in all parts of the park, however, please make sure you clean up after your dog. Dog owners who abuse this privilege risk spoiling it for everyone who enjoys walking their dog at the park. Please keep your dog on a leash and pick up your dogs droppings when visiting the Township Parks. Dogs may be off leash only in the designated Dog Park. Thank you.
Please abide by the Dog Park Rules:
- No attendant will be on duty. Users of dog parks shall do so at their own risk. Antrim Township shall not be liable for injuries to dogs, their owners/handlers or others that use the dog park. The area is for dogs and their handlers/owners only. The owner is 100% responsible for any injuries inflicted by their dog. Prevent injuries by supervising your dog closely at all times. Dog owners are legally and financially responsible for their dog's behavior.
- All dogs shall be spayed or neutered.
- All dogs shall be legally licensed and vaccinated and shall wear a visible dog license and identification.
- No dogs over 30 pounds permitted in the small dog area.
- Aggressive dogs are prohibited from this park and dogs exhibiting aggressive behavior must be removed from the park immediately without debate.
- Dog owners are solely liable for injuries or damage caused by their dogs.
- Dog waste shall be cleaned up by dog owners and placed in proper receptacles.
- Dogs must be on leash and under control by their owners/handlers at all times outside of the fenced dog park.
- No dogs under four (4) months of age are permitted in the dog park.
- No animals other than dogs are permitted in the dog park.
- Dog owners must be in the dog park and within view and voice control of their dogs at all times.
- Children under twelve (12) shall be closely supervised at all times by an adult. It is strongly urged that young children not be brought to the dog park for their own safety.
- All dogs must be supervised by an adult handler/owner at least 18 years of age in order to use the park.
- No more than three (3) dogs and/or children allowed per handler.
- No food or treats (human or dog), alcoholic beverages, strollers, bicycles, or children's toys allowed in the dog park.
- Owners/handlers shall stop their dogs from digging and immediately fill any holes dug.
- Excessive barking is prohibited.
- Violations of any of the above rules may result in the dog and/or the owner/handler of the dog being prohibited from use of the park in the future.
Click any of the pictures above to view a larger version.