Land Use & Building

Most construction projects in Antrim Township require two permits, a Land Use Permit obtained from the Township and a Building Permit obtained from our authorized Uniform Construction Code Official (UCC Official).

The Land Use Permit is required to ensure compliance with the Township’s Zoning regulations. This permit primarily focuses on the type, location, and use of the proposed improvement. It is also used to collect demographic information.

The Building Permit is a requirement of the Uniform Construction Code (UCC) that was mandated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 2004. The UCC was established to ensure that the structures being built were safe and held to the same construction standards. Antrim Township chose to implement this program by outsourcing to third party Uniform Construction Code Officials.

Take a moment to review all the different types of permits that may be required for your project.

Permit Types

Land Use Permits

Antrim Township requires Land Use Permits for the placement, construction or alteration of any building or structure larger than 100 square feet. Remodeling, enhancing, or repairing a structure may require a land use permit. Other miscellaneous items also require a Land Use Permit such as signage, pools, demolishing/moving/removing structures and more. Please contact the planning and zoning staff before starting a project.

No Land Use Permit shall be issued unless the proposed construction is in full conformity with all Township regulations.

Road Occupancy Permits

Road Occupancy and Driveway Permits are required for any use of or access to Township Road Right-of-Ways. Examples of such use or access may include, but is not limited to, driveway entrances, utility placement, culverts and drainage features.

Well Permits

Antrim Township requires a Well Permit before drilling or digging a well regardless of the use or intended purpose of the well. A well permit is needed whether it will be used for irrigation, watering livestock, drinking or any other purpose. The Well Water Permit is accompanied by a Well Water Report that must be completed and returned to either Antrim Township and/or to the UCC Official. The Well Report requires testing of the raw water from the well. Well Water Regulations can be found in Chapter 110-46 of the Code of the Township of Antrim.

Sewer Permit

Before connection to any public sewer line of the Antrim Township Municipal Authority a Sewer Permit shall be obtained. All connections require inspection by the Antrim Township Utilities Department.

Water Permit

Before connection to any public water line of the Antrim Township Municipal Authority a Water permit shall be obtained.

Zoning Permit

Zoning permits are required for any change of use on a property or within a structure. A detailed written description of the proposed use is required to apply for a Zoning Permit. The description should include, at a minimum, the hours of operation, the proposed number of employees, the nature of the use, an assessment of parking needs for both employees and patrons, proposed water usage, a list of specialized equipment used, and if any chemicals are used. A hand sketch of the property may be requested showing the location of all buildings, parking areas including the number of parking spaces, drives on the property, the property’s road frontage and the location of any new improvement.

No use shall commence within the Township without first obtaining a Zoning Permit to ensure that such use is permitted in that Zoning District and that such location complies with all applicable regulations for such use.

Building Permits

Antrim Township outsources the enforcement of the Uniform Construction Code (UCC). Building Permits or Construction Permits may be obtained from one of our two Building Code Officials. You may contact them directly with questions relating to construction specifications and the Building Permit application process, fees, and time frames.

Commonwealth Code Inspection Service, Inc. has an office located at:
1102 Sheller Avenue
Chambersburg, PA 17201
Phone: (717) 262-0081
Fax: (717) 263-3546

CCIS has office hours from 8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday, and an automated telephone to schedule inspections 24 hours 7 days a week.

Pennsylvania Municipal Code Alliance, Inc. has an office located at:
380 Wayne Avenue
Chambersburg, PA 17201
Phone: (717) 496-4996

PMCA has office hours from 8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.  Inspections may be scheduled at   

Staff Contacts

Name Title Phone
Sylvia House Zoning Officer (717) 597-3818 ext. 124
Amber King-Reasner Assist. Zoning Officer (717) 597-3818 ext 106